Abavuki consists of nine accomplished but youthful musicians with over 10 years’ experience in creating their unique genre of African Jazz. Using marimbas, percussion and brass instruments, they weave traditional African rhythms and melodies into a contemporary format which is highly accessible to a wide audience. Their high-energy style of music is uplifting and very danceable.
Born and raised in Langa, Cape Town, they are using their love of music and performance to rise above their circumstances and to help others do the same.
- Bongani Ngesi
- Siyabulela Jiyana
- Thando Sishuba
- Thulani Mtyi
- Mkokeli Masala
- Vuyani Sakabula
- Philip Matsila
- Andile Makubalo
Career Achievement Highlights:
- Performed at Rocking the Daisies 2013
- Part of the “Africa Connect” festival 2013
- Released latest album “Decade” 2012
- Performed for 2 months on the Viking Line ferry between Sweden and Finland - 2010
- Featured in BBC4 documentary with Midge Ure (Ultravox) – 2009
- Commissioned to record “Africa got Soul” to celebrate Motown’s 50th anniversary – 2009
- Won 1st prize in the “Indigenous marimba music and praise poetry Festival” – 2008
- Featured in the documentary “What’s your Story” for SABC2 – 2006
- Performed in China as guests of the Chinese Government – 2006
- Released 2nd album “Live in China” – 2006
- Released first album – “African Rhythms” – 2004
Currently performing twice weekly at Mama Africa restaurant in Long Street, Cape Town.
Does not claim to be an official website, the owners or management over any supplier, service or content.
Will not respond to requests of a personal nature, nor offer contacts nor share intellectual property.
Is purely a marketing and brokering medium for South African Entertainment related suppliers and related services and therefore this resource reserves the right to only respond to official booking and quote requests for corporate functions and events.