About Carol Thorns
South Africa’s leading electric cellist Carol Thorns is known as a pioneer in the electric string genre.
Her flare for creating extraordinary concepts and collaborations has resulted in a portfolio of unique cello projects that has taken her around the world.
- CODA Africa – Popular South Africa band
- The Bubble – Giant Sphere / Globe
- The Galaxy Dress – LED Dress
- The Blossom Dress – Silk Flower Dress
- Rosanthorn Trio – all-female electric string act
Armed with her striking red cello, she has won fans in London, Scotland, the UAE, Switzerland, Finland, India and Turkey. She was awarded a 4-star rating for her audio-visual show ‘Red Cello Electrified’ at the 2010 Edinburgh Fringe, the largest Arts Festival in the world.
Her popular solo cello album Fireflies In The Rain was nominated for Best Instrumental Album 2010 at the South African Music Awards.
A Cum Laude Bachelor of Music Graduate from Rhodes University Carol Thorns has a background in cello performance and entertainment PR. Her passion for taking electric strings into unchartered territory lead her to initiate and build popular brands such as Muse String Quartet, Sterling EQ, CODA Africa, Rosanthorn Cello Trio, The Bubble (Cellosphere) and The Galaxy Dress.
Carol Thorns Career Highlights
With over 100 performances a year, Carol is in great demand as an electric cellist. Her career highlights include:
- Opening for Vanessa Mae at the CTICC
- Performing in Dubai for J Lo
- Featuring at Cape Town Fashion Week
- Performing for Coca Cola at the Burj Kalifah
- Performing in the Natural History Museum in Edinburgh
- Performing on a cruise of the Baltic
- Featuring at Bidvest Year End Events
- Performing for the Cape Town International Jazz Festival
- Performing for the Football World Cup 2010
- Opening Miss SA with CODA Africa at the Sun City Superbowl
- Opening act for the launch of Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa
- Featuring at the Porsche Cayman Launches (6 countries) featuring her original song, Closer To The Sun
- Travelling internationally for performances in Geneva (Airbus Corporate Jet), Dubai (Rolls Royce), Istanbul, London, Edinburg (SAPPI), Edinburgh Festival, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, Seychelles, Vic Falls (Zambia) etc.
- Headlining Concert Series’: Oude Libertas 2018 / 2019, Greyton Classics For All 2019, Picnic in The Park Abu Dhabi (2019), Plett Music Festival 2013, 2014, 2017 & 2020
- Performing Game of Thrones as a soloist with the Cape Town Philharmonic as part of the Artscape’s 50 year celebration.
Carol Thorns Awards
- Nominated for South African Music Award for debut album, Fireflies In The Rain (Best Instrumental Album)
- Nominated for an All African Music Award for ‘Disclosure’
Carol Thorns Video
Does not claim to be an official website, the owners or management over any supplier, service or content.
Will not respond to requests of a personal nature, nor offer contacts nor share intellectual property.
Is purely a marketing and brokering medium for South African Entertainment related suppliers and related services and therefore this resource reserves the right to only respond to official booking and quote requests for corporate functions and events.
Immediate Action Request
Please note: you will receive a response in 4 working hours or less.